Total Yarding: 1114
There was only a small increase in numbers and quality was again mixed. Weaners were better supplied while yearlings eased in numbers. There was a good run of heavy yearlings and grown steers and an increase in cows. The market was dearer.
Light weaner steers sold to 364c with most sales from 300c to 340c/kg.
Light heifers topped at 345c/kg. Feeder steers were cheaper with restockers purchasing the better cattle.
Medium weight feeder steers sold from 260c to 286c and restocking steers at the same weight from 283c to 315c/kg. Trade steers lifted 10c selling from 282c to 299c and light trade heifers reached 308c/kg.
Grown steers and bullocks were consistently dearer selling to 277c and averaging 270c/kg.
Heavy grown heifers lifted 10c to make from 243c to 263c/kg. 2 score cows to process gained 4c to make from 165c to 205c/kg.
Restocking lines gained 15c reaching 218c/kg. Heavy 3 and 4 score cows were 4c to 7c dearer to make from 195c to 229c and average 212c/kg.
Category Weight (Qty), c/kg, $/hd
- Light Steers <350 (185), top 364c/kg, $1040/hd, av 286c/kg, $774/hd
- Light Heifers <350 (185), top 345c/kg, $980/hd, av 257.3c/kg, $689/hd
- Trade Steers 351-500 (138), top 330c/kg, $1420/hd, av 276.6c/kg, $1150/hd
- Trade Heifers 351-500 (127), top 308.2c/kg, $1278/hd, av 242.9c/kg, $1021/hd
- Export Steers 501+ (116), top 286c/kg, $1861/hd, av 272.1c/kg, $1543/hd
- Export Heifers 501+ (35), top 267.2c/kg, $1937/hd, av 249.8c/kg, $1491/hd
- Cows (300), top 229.6c/kg, $1677/hd, av 199.9c/kg, $1074/hd
- Bulls <700 (16), top 241.2c/kg, $1284/hd, av 180c/kg, $755/hd
- Bulls >700, top 250.6c/kg, $2599/hd, av 228.4c/kg, $2071/hd
Prime Sheep & Lamb
Total Yarding: 12,679
Lamb numbers eased slightly and the quality was a little plainer. 2 score light weights were well supplied but restocking activity was a little easier. There were a few pens of ideal shorn trade weights but most were lacking finish. Heavy lambs were very limited. The market was cheaper.
The 2 score restocking lambs were $10 to $15 cheaper selling from $65 to $113/head. Medium and heavy trade weights eased $5 and sold from $133 to $144 and heavy lambs $144 to $165/head. Carcase prices averaged 575c/kg cwt. The best of the heavy hoggets reached $166/head. Light first cross ewe lambs made from $80 to $113/head to restockers.
Mutton numbers improved and the quality was plainer. There were more light plainer sheep offered. Lighter sheep sold cheaper while the better covered heavy weights are firm. Heavy Merino wethers reached $153 and crossbred ewes $150/head.
Category (Qty) $/hd
- Suckers XB (11), top $115, av $115
- Lambs Merino (208), top $104, av $76.19
- Lambs XB (3272), top $165, av $110.85
- Hoggets XB (161), top $166, av $138.75
- Wethers Merino (1064), top $153.60, av $117.51
- Ewes XB (299), top $150, av $101.79
- Ewes Merino (5441), top $128.20, av $71.96
- Weaner Sale: Friday, March 16, 10am
- Store Cattle/Weaner Sale: Friday, March 23, 10am