SELX Prime Sheep, Lamb
Wednesday, May 16
Lamb numbers improved and the quality was mixed. Several good pens of trade and heavy lambs were penned but the majority of the lambs were lighter weights most suited to restockers and feeders. There was a larger run of Merino lambs offered in a dearer market.
Restocking lambs lifted $6 and sold from $90 to trade weigh lambs at $133/head. Medium and heavy trade lambs to 23kg were $3 to $4 dearer on a plainer run and ranged between $124 and $150/head averaging 630c/kg cwt for the better end. The heavy lambs sold $5 to $6 dearer and made from $149 to extra heavy lambs at $186/head. Carcase prices ranged from 560c to 640c/kg cwt. Hoggets reached $164/head. Merino lambs sold to $90/head for lambs up to 16kg.
Mutton numbers increased and the quality was good. There was a good draft of medium and heavy sheep along with some plainer ewes. Prices lifted $3 to $8 on the 3 and 4 scores while plainer sheep eased $7 to $10/head. Heavy crossbred ewes have reached $170/head. Wethers reached $166/head. The better covered lines were averaging 460c to 485c/kg cwt.
Category (Qty) $/hd
- Lambs Merino (1389): top $110, av $65.30
- Lambs XB (6070): top $186, av $118.32
- Hoggets XB (151): top $164, av $130.32
- Wethers Merino (1814): top $150, av $110.36
- Ewes XB (1266): top $170, av $119.05
- Ewes Merino (4350): top $135, av $89.78
SELX Prime Cattle
Thursday, May 17
There was a slight increase in numbers. Quality was again mixed with an increase in plainer and lighter weaners. Yearlings mostly went to feeder orders and prime grown cattle were in short supply. Around 600 cows were penned to the usual buyers in a dearer market.
Weaners sold to firm prices with steers 220c to 261c and heifers reached 259c/kg. Trade vealers sold from 265c to 280c/kg. Yearling feeder steers gained 9c and sold from 252c to 307c/kg. Heifer sold 7c to 8c dearer from 258c to 285c/kg. Trade steers reached 275c and heifers 266c to 274c/kg.
Grown steers sold from 240c to 256c/kg on a very limited run. Cows were the big mover and most categories lifted 12c to 20c/kg. 2 score processing cows made from 110c to 180c/kg. Heavy 3 and 4 scores made from 165c to a top of 242c to average 202c/kg.
Cat, Wgt (Qty), c/kg, $/hd
- Light Steers <350 (209): top 293.2c/kg, $1009/hd; av 236.6c/kg, $623/hd
- Light Heifers <350 (202): top 270c/kg, $918/hd; av 215.6c/kg, $534/hd
- Trade Steers 351-500 (229): top 307.2c/kg, $1371/hd; av 282.8c/kg, $1168/hd
- Trade Heifers 351-500 (145): top 283.2c/kg, $1323/hd; av 259.4c/kg, $1071/hd
- Export Steers 501+ (17): top 278c/kg, $1680/hd; av 266.2c/kg, $1443/hd
- Export Heifers 501+ (31): top 274c/kg, $1992/hd; av 261.4c/kg, $1480/hd
- Cows (638): top 250c/kg, $1585/hd; av 171.8c/kg, $906/hd
- Bulls <700 (15): top 200c/kg, $1233/hd; av 174.1c/kg, $600/hd
- Bulls >700 (8): top 220c/kg, $2013/hd; av 197.1c/kg, $1609/hd
- Prime Sheep, Lamb: Every Wednesday, 11am
- Prime Cattle: Every Thursday, 8am
- Store Sale: Friday May 25, 10am
- Goat Sale: Monday June 18, 12pm