SELX Market Report
Prime Cattle – May 24
Total Yarding: 1942
Numbers increased and the quality was mostly plain. There was an increase in light weaners and a mixed run of around 700 cows.
There were only a few good pens of yearlings but most of these went to feeder orders. The market was cheaper.
Weaners to restock and feed were 30c to 40c/kg cheaper. Plain steers started at 140c to better runs of black steers which reached 260c/kg. Heifers sold from 112c to 225c/kg.
The vealers reached 240c/kg. Bred and quality was a factor in the average declining 20c on the feeder steers but the better bred steers eased around 10c/kg.
Medium weights made from 200c to 288c with a pen of heavy feeder steers reaching 292c/kg. Feeder heifers eased 15c to 20c and sold from 228c to 268c/kg.
Grown steers sold from 236c to 275c and the best of the heavy grown heifers reached 255c/kg.
Most cows reduced 6c to 10c with the very plain cows easing 20c/kg. The 2 score processing cows sold from 120c to 179c and the heavy 3 and 4 scores made from 155c to 214c/kg.
Prime heavy weights averaged 194c/kg. Restockers paid from 180c to 199c/kg for PTIC cows.
Cat/Wt (Qty) c/kg $/hd
- Light Steers <350 (375): top 280c/kg, $976/hd; av 214.4c/kg, $537/hd
- Light Heifers <350 (371): top 242c/kg, $828/hd; av 168.8c/kg, $426/hd
- Trade Steers 351-500 (132): top 292c/kg, $1346/hd; av 261.1c/kg, $1080/hd
- Trade Heifers 351-500 (222): top 270c/kg, $1295/hd; av 227.9c/kg, $944/hd
- Export Steers 501+ (26): top 285c/kg, $1888/hd; av 245.6c/kg, $1442/hd
- Export Heifers 501+ (30): top 255c/kg, $1556/hd; av 241.6c/kg, $1392/hd
- Cows (741): top 255c/kg, $1892/hd; av 169.5c/kg, $898/hd
- Bulls <700 (31): top 200c/kg, $1227/hd; av 147.7c/kg, $460/hd
- Bulls >700 (10): top 225c/kg, $2340/hd; av 213.6c/kg, $1856/hd